Something Salinas This Way Comes...

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Things I'm Loving

*Joshua's reference to me as "mamacita", which started a few Christmases ago when he heard, "Donde Esta Santa Claus" for the first time, has become his pet name for me; he calls me this more often than he calls me "mom".

*Maurice is on the phone with a friend of ours who is having relationship troubles. She is an Atheist and he is a Baptist. It's becoming a huge point of contention for them. I overheard Maurice's advice to his friend: "Does the fact that she's an Atheist change how you feel about her? If her beliefs don't change the way you feel about her, what is the point of ending it with her over them?" ...How does the same guy who adds things to my to-do lists like, "Dirty lovin' with Maurice" and uses terms like "fucknugget" give advice like that? That is my husband, a swearing, livestock-loving, red-moose-pajama-pants-wearing enigma. I wonder if he would apply this philosiphy if I began to buy myself a weekly pair of Santana heels?

*This dinner is frigging fantastic, if I do say so myself.

*This afternoon, I was the recipient of the following compliment from Kody: "I like having you as my mom, because you never treat us like we are a challenge, or something to check off your list of accomplishments. You never act like we are an inconvenience and you always seem happy to have us around". I am still not sure where that came from, especially since I was in the middle of dinner. And elbow deep in a pile of clean laundry Hannah had just peed in. And really wishing I was kid-free and at a fancy restaurant at that moment. (Don't worry, I washed my hands)

*My friends, A and N, who took Josh along with them to a high school hockey game tonight. Joshua had a fantastic time eating a hot dog and chips, drinking hot chocolate, and "watching the guys' faces get slammed up on the glass". Thanks, A and N. You two are going to make fantastic parents, and I cannot wait to watch it all happen for you.

....So that's it. Just the few little things that happen every day, that I happened to take a moment and appreciate today. I think I should do that more often.

1 comment: