Something Salinas This Way Comes...

Friday, January 8, 2010

Formalities

I have discovered the beauty of an RSS feed and I am taking full advantage of it!  I am hoping that, through this method of communicating, I can reach a broader audience that includes those people not already on Facebook (Mom!).  I am sort of obsessed with writing, the way that my daughters are obsessed with changing clothes, or the way that my husband is obsessed with livestock.  As a way of reaching out to people who may not already be familiar with us, here are some random tidbits:

*Soon, I will be entering the last year of my 20's, and am seriously contemplating pink highlights in commemoration of that.

*My husband really is obsessed with livestock.  We already own a collection of chickens, turkeys, and pheasants, and at the end of this month we will be proud owners of three sheep.  In April, we will become very close to achieving "Salinas Ranch" status; that is when we will bring home three baby pigs and two baby Nigerian dwarf goats.  I think the kids plan to name them Billy, Goat, and Gruff.

*I'm not sure what the kids will name the goats, but they have no choice but to name the pigs after food: Ham, Bacon, Barbecue...You can just chalk it up to a lesson in life and death, if you're the philosophical type.

*I have a hard time finishing a book.  I love to read, but I have what I like to call "Reading ADHD".  I've been reading Anna Karenina for three years.

*I am majoring in English, so the above statement seems like a really big issue I should try to overcome.

*If there is one thing I am by nature, it is eclectic.  That's fancy for moody.  It should make for a very entertaining blog, no?

*I have a thing for Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs.  This will become very obvious to you, if you subscribe to my new blog.

*I have a phobia concerning hair in the bathtub. 

*I am not particularly crafty.  I like to say that my craft is writing, and that I don't have time to do things like cook eloquently, or scrapbook, or write calligraphy because writing is so time-intensive.  But the truth is, this is simply an excuse for the fact that I (a)have no talent for any of it and (b)would have more fun cleaning and organizing after the crafing task than I would actually creating said crafty item.

*I secretly also love having livestock, as long as I don't have to clean up after them.

2 comments: